From startup to exist and everything in between.
Business & Finance is our niche.
Deep, global expertise.
Our senior lawyers have decades of experience working at multinational law firms, and Fortune 100 companies, and expatriate experience in Europe in Asia. We have spent our careers serving the needs of clients doing business, and doing deals, across borders. Serving these needs, and these clients, is second nature to us.
Tapping into the US Market, or expanding from the US to an overseas market, is a big step in the life cycle of any business. We help our foreign clients find creative solutions for doing business in the United States, and help our domestic client build overseas expansion strategies, in a manner that works with overall corporate strategy. We have close colleagues all over the world, and routinely team with lawyers in other jurisdictions to ensure a smooth growth process.
- Creating branch offices and subsidiaries
- Entity formation
- Corporate Governance advice to boards
- Benefit company formation and compliance advice
- Shareholder and Voting Agreements
- Tax compliance
- HR matters: Executive compensation, consulting agreements, general employment law and incentive compensation
- Merger & Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, and Strategic Alliances
No tunnel vision.
We provide holistic, strategic advice with a view to the client’s entire business strategy and structure.
- Mergers and acquisitions, equity and asset deals
- Technology acquisition
- Joint ventures formation and strategic alliances,
- Merger notification filing regulations (Hart Scott Rodino)
- CFIUS filing evaluations
- OFAC compliance
Founders’ shares to IPO and everything in between.
We represent companies raising money, and investors, in the full range of equity and debt, public and private capital formation deals, and in the formation of investment funds.
- Early stage finance – Seed, angel and venture capital investments
- Common, preferred, convertible, and SAFE deals
- IPOs and Regulation A offerings
- Private placements under Regulation D, Regulation S, Rule 144 and 144A
- Periodic reporting obligation compliance
- Stock exchange listing
- Secured and unsecured debt finance
- Capital restructuring
- Crowdfunding platform compliance
- Venture capital and private equity fund formation
MacDonald Weiss has the experience to advise our clients on the full range of debt and equity financing methods, whether public or private. On the debt side, our experience ranges from simple bank loan facilities to diversified payment securitizations, from credit derivatives to project finance. On the equity side, our experience ranges from simple stock issuances to stock-based structured investment products to complex investment partnerships. Viewed from a securities law perspective, we cover US domestic and offshore private offerings and resales under Regulation D, Regulation S and Rule 144A, and domestic and global exchange-listed public offerings.
We are entrepreneurs serving disruptors.
Never before has there been a business model where the very essence of the product is interwoven with law and regulation. For that reason it is crucial for companies developing blockchain products to have the guidance of an experienced legal advisor. However, experience alone is not enough. The law will impact a product’s functionality, design, and users in ways that require a lawyer to have an entrepreneur’s vision for product development. That is the essence of our identity at MW — we are entrepreneurs, serving entrepreneurs, disrupters, growth companies and their investors.
We have the vision to see what has never been done before, and the experience to understand how it can be achieved within the parameters of overlapping regulations.
We have taken our global experience in regulatory compliance and cross border transactional work, and created a boutique firm to provide those same services to entrepreneurs. Like our clients, we are lean, efficient, nimble and creative, but most importantly for blockchain products — we are seasoned advisors who know the ropes.
Our clients do big things around the world.
We handle a wide variety of commercial and general business matters.
- Product sales and distribution
- Technology and software licensing
- Data privacy
- Internet law
- Consumer Protection and advertising regulations
- Sweepstakes and contests
- General contracts.
More than number crunching.
Tax planning is often at the very heart of business decisions. Understanding the tax implications of business decisions can have a significant impact on a company’s bottom line. We provide strategic tax advice on a broad range of transactions including
- evaluation of tax treaties and intermediary jurisdictions in business expansion and M&A transactions
- comparative entity taxation analyses
- capital markets and partnership transactions, venture capital and private equity fund structuring
- structured products and derivatives
- implications of renouncing US citizenship and FATCA compliance.
We also represent individuals in proceedings before the IRS.
We bring it all together.
We manage a client’s legal process, and management of local firms around the world.
MacDonald Weiss serves as “outside general counsel” for a number of our clients, a role in which we manage and coordinate all of the client’s US and global legal needs. When needed, we bring to the table well-integrated, high-quality assistance from our extensive network of established relationships with lawyers in other firms. We also have long experience in working smoothly with our clients’ other pre-existing counsel. We have helped to manage and coordinate projects involving the full gamut of legal specialties, from litigation to patent applications. No matter what the problem or task might be, our clients can start by consulting with us; we will find a way to handle it.